What Kind of Insurance Protects You from Theft and Vandalism?

Comprehensive insurance coverage is an optional form of protection that safeguards your vehicle from damage caused by non-collision-related events that are out of your control. This includes theft, vandalism, glass and windscreen damage, fires, animal accidents, weather-related incidents, and other acts of nature. If your property is unoccupied, your insurer may require certain preventive measures to reduce the risk of theft and vandalism. This could include boarding up the property and making sure all windows and doors are secure against glass breakage.

They may also require you or the property manager to continue maintaining the property (mowing the lawn, performing regular repairs, adhering to local codes, etc.). If these protective measures are not in place at the time of the loss, insurance coverage for theft, VMM, or theft may be excluded. The extent of insurance coverage for theft can vary depending on the situation and type of car insurance you have. Comprehensive coverage usually covers theft as well as the costs of repairing break-in damage.

Liability insurance is unlikely to cover theft as it typically provides protection against bodily injury and property damage resulting from an accident. Filing an auto insurance claim for vandalism could result in a rate increase depending on the insurer and state. Tenant damages are treated differently in the insurance contract since you have allowed them to take care of your home through the lease. Vandalism and malicious mischief insurance is a form of coverage that protects against losses incurred due to vandals.

Keep in mind that if you decide to file a car insurance claim, you will have to pay your deductible before receiving any reimbursement from your car insurance company. If your car was stolen with personal items inside, you will need to file two separate claims: one through your car insurance and one through your home insurance. If you added comprehensive insurance to your car insurance policy, you should be protected against any form of vandalism or car theft. The terms, definitions and explanations of insurance are for informational purposes only and do not replace or modify in any way the definitions and information contained in the individual pages of contracts, policies or insurance statements, which are decisive.

Other types of property insurance include rental property insurance, vacant property insurance, property insurance for renovations, new construction insurance, vacant land insurance, vacation rental insurance, mobile home insurance, condo insurance, and liability insurance placed by deleting lenders.